The SAA monthly newsletters are sent to members e-mail or they can be accessed through this website. They can also be mailed to members who do not have internet access (an extra charge of $5.00/year is added to the annual membership fee to cover costs). Below are the latest downloadable PDFs:
Note to members: Deadline for newsletter contributions is the end of the 3rd week of each month. We look forward to your input.
You can contact our newsletter editor, Marjorie, at this email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Next SAA Meeting
Sculptors’ Association of Alberta Member’s Meetings are held the first Tuesday of the Month (September to June) at 7:30 PM in Harcourt House, 10211 112 St NW, Edmonton Alberta in the ANNEX Art Education Room.
Next Meeting is Tuesday, March 6, 2018
Program | TBA
Executive Meeting at 6:30 pm
All Members’ Meeting at 7:30 pm
Please ring the doorbell to be let inside.
Ice and Snow Events
Please contact Barb if you are interested in any of these events barbmarcink
FERRO CEMENT WORKSHOP
INSTRUCTOR: Ivano Ongaro
WHEN: Saturday, May 5/18–10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 6/18–12:00 to 4:00 p.m.
WHERE: 9907 – 182 St. (780-903-6895 cell)
COST: $80.00 SAA members/$90.00 non-members
Minimum 5–Maximum 10 people
Registration deadline: April 21/18
Objective: To learn and experience a method for making large sculptures using metal re-enforced cement.
Goal: To make a functional ferro cement decorative structure; specifically a mushroom that can serve as a garden ornament and a stool.
- Safely handle, and shape expanded diamond mesh to create simple forms.
- Assemble shaped components to complete a complex form using tie wire.
- Learn how to proportion and mix fibreglass reinforced cement.
- Gain skill in applying glass fibre cement to the metal form.
- Experience colouring of cement.
- Applying finished and coloured surface to sculpture.
- Learn about curing and sealing cement structures.
Safety Equipment and Tools
Each participant must provide their own:
- Eye protection
- Water resistant work gloves
- Old clothing, especially to protect the arms from sharp edges of diamond mesh
- Utility pliers (some will be provided)
- Metal cutters if you have them
Supplied Materials and tools
- Cement trowel (limited number available for sale at $15.00 each)
- Diamond mesh and ligature wire
- Metal cutters
- Pigments and modifiers
We will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. Please come 15-30 minutes early for registration
and payment. Coffee will be provided. We plan for 1/2 hour lunch break. Please bring
a lunch as 1/2 hour will not allow enough time to go out. Option is to order food and
have it delivered.